Monday, March 6, 2017

Logscale Universe

I have done a map of the Solar System with a logarithmic scale before, this one extended toward the nearest stars, so it seems logical - to me at least - to extend it right towards the end. And here is the result: The log-scale universe.

Scroll right until the End Of The Universe, or click on it and enjoy in full. Or should that be the Beginning Of The Universe, since that is the limit of how far we can see it. If you prefer a black background, take this.

My main inspiration was this map by Gott, Juric et al. from 2005, but I wanted more detail, so I had to search for a lot of data to complete it. I also didn't like the geocentric origin, so my map starts out heliocentric :P. Below is a list of all the
Sources:
Solar System: NASA JPL Solar System Dynamics, except
Small bodies: mpccorb.dat from Minor planet center
Stars: Extended Hipparcos Compilation (XHIP), Anderson et al., 2012
DSOs:
Milky Way Global Clusters: MWGC, Harris, 2010
Local Group galaxies: see the Milky Way halo and Local Group pages for the sources.
Messier catalog SEDS.org and selected Caldwell objects
More Galaxies: Catalog of Local Volume galaxies, Karachentsev et al., 2013
Cosmicflows-2 catalog, Tully et. al., 2013
2M++ galaxy redshift catalogue, Lavaux et al. 2011
SDSS DR-13, 2015
and Galaxy Clusters & Superclusters: Superclusters of Abell and X-ray clusters, Einasto, 2001
and finally Ned Wright's cosmology calculator was a great help in figuring out comoving distances from redshift using current cosmological parameters (according to the Planck results):
H0: 67.74, Ωλ: 0.6911, Ωm: 0.3089
I hope I got that right.

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I have followed you on Google. Thank you for doing this interesting work. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this piece of art.

    ReplyDelete